Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Pearl Harbor

Throughout the week we talked about Pearl Harbor. Students were interested in the topic and were very engaged in the various activities that we did. Several students had never heard of Pearl Harbor, so it was a wonderful learning opportunity for them. Some of the students related the attacks of Pearl Harbor to 9/11. Even though it wasn't in the lesson plan to talk about 9/11, we did have the opportunity to compare and contrast the two horrific events. Some students said it reminded them of the Titanic with the boat sinking and many innocent people dying. I truely love when my my kids make connections.

As a class we discussed what we already knew about Pearl Harbor. The following day we talked about Pearl Harbor in detail. I was impressed to know that several students had actually went home and researched it or asked their parents about it. I love that they are over achievers!! Students were then put in groups of four. As a group they had to gather information so that they could make a chart the following day with what they have learned or know about Pearl Harbor. They had the opportunity to use any resources that we had in the classroom. They used almanacs, encyclopedias, and Internet to find statistics and more information about Pearl Harbor. It was a rewarding experience for me to see every one of my kids actively engaged in this activity.

Students now had now gathered enough information to make a chart. They wrote detailed information, they illustrated what they had learned and some wrote statistics or made graphs. I love that these students are creative and eager to learn new things.

Towards the end of the week, students (in pairs) made a PowerPoint presentation about Pearl Harbor. I am so amazed at how well my students did on this project. They are fast learners!

No comments: